- The poor people or Al-fuqara as the Quran said. They are people that do not have enough money to cover their requirements.
- Needy people or Al-maskin as Quran said. They are people in necessary need of money.
- Administrators of zakat as charities organizations.
- Friends of Islam and new Muslims.
- who is in bondage as captives& slaves?
- who are in debt and couldn’t pay it. Person in adept considers one we who is eligible for zakat.
- Fi sabil Allah as Quran said or for the cause of Allah.
- who are passengers or travelers who have no or little resources that they call wayfarers?
All of these eight ways discuss who is eligible for zakat.
.إِنَّمَا الصَّدَقَاتُ لِلْفُقَرَاء وَالْمَسَاكِينِ وَالْعَامِلِينَ عَلَيْهَا وَالْمُؤَلَّفَةِ قُلُوبُهُمْ وَفِي الرِّقَابِ وَالْغَارِمِينَ وَفِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ وَابْنِ السَّبِيلِ فَرِيضَةً مِّنَ اللّهِ وَاللّهُ عَلِيمٌ حَكِيمٌ
What is Zakat?
Zakah (Arabic:الزكاة) is one of the obligations in Islam that mean people who have extra money than their requirements must give some of the money by the year to poor people or to who is eligible for zaka.
When Muslim people who have money exceeded their requirements give zakah to poor people or people who need money to enough their requirements for their family, This will purify the money that those people have.
How many types of al zakat are in Islam?
In Islam, we have two types of zakat
- Zakat Al-Mal or in the other means al zakat of wealth.
- Zakat Al Fitr ( that paid after fasting).
1- Zakat Al-Mal
Zakat Al-Mal (arabic:زكاة المال) is the type of Zakat when people have wealth like property, money, gold, silver, and any other wealth they must pay zakat for purifying this wealth. So they search for the person who is eligible for zakat and pay al zakat for him to purify him.
al zakat that paid for wealth is 2.5% of total wealth by the year as Islam said.
Not all people must pay zakat Al-Mal but when people exceed a special limit of wealth called Nisab they must pay Zakah Al-Mal.
Zakat Al-Mal hadith
Ali ibn Abi Talib reported: The Prophet, peace, and blessings be upon him, said, “If you have two hundred silver coins and a year has passed, five coins are due for alms. You will owe nothing until you own twenty gold coins. If you own twenty gold coins and a year has passed, half of a coin is due for alms. Whatever is extra should be calculated likewise.”
Source: Sunan Abi Dawud 1572
Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani
2- Zakat Al Fitr
Zakat Al Fitr (arabic:زكاة الفطر) is that all Muslims must pay at the end of fasting. This must be paid at the end of Ramadan month before Eid Al-Fitr so it is also called zakat or sadaqah Al Eftar regarding Eid Al-Fitr. paying for all adult members of the family.
it paid to poor people as cereals like rice, beans, wheat, and raisins. No problem paying it as money but must be paid before Eid Al Fitr to make poor people buy new clothes for the celebration of Eid.
zakat al Fitr hadith
(1) Ibn Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace, and blessings be upon him, obligated Zakah al-Fitr as purification of the fasting person from vain talk and misbehavior, as food for the poor. Whoever pays it before the Eid prayer, is accepted as Zakah. Whoever pays it after the Eid prayer, is part of voluntary charity.
Source: Sunan Abi Dawud 1609
Grade: Hasan (fair) according to Ibn Qudamah
(2) Ibn Umar reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace, and blessings be upon him, obligated payment of charity at the end of Ramadan, a portion of dates or barely, upon slave and freeman, male and female, young and old among the Muslims. The Prophet ordered it to be given before people go out for Eid prayer.
Source: sahih al-Bukhari 1503, sahih Muslim 986
Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi (authenticity agreed upon) according to Al-Bukhari and Muslim
(3) Abu Sa’id al-Khudri reported: We would bring for Zakah al-Fitr a portion of food, or a portion of barley, or a portion of dates, or a portion of cheese, or a portion of raisins.
Source: sahih al-Bukhari 1435, sahih 985
Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi (authenticity agreed upon) according to Al-Bukhari and Muslim
Al-Tirmidhi said, “This is acted upon by some of the people of knowledge. Their view is that a portion (sa’) of any food is valid; it is the opinion of Al-Shafi’i, Ahmad, and Ishaq. Some of the people of knowledge among the companions of the Prophet and others said a portion of any food is valid, except for wheat, for which is it permissible to give a half portion; it is the opinion of Sufyan al-Thawri, Ibn al-Mubarak, and the people of Kufah.”
Source: Sunan al-Tirmidhi 673
(4) Al-Nawawi reported: Waki’ ibn al-Jarrah, may Allah have mercy on him, said, “Zakah al-Fitr is to the month of Ramadan like the prostration of forgetfulness is to prayer. It makes up for deficiencies in fasting just as the prostration makes up for deficiencies in prayer.”
Source: al-Majmu’ Sharh al-Muhadhab 6/140
How much does Zaka pay?
For Zakah Al-Mal
Islam obliges zakah as 2.5% of the total wealth that the person has at the year. When his wealth exceeds the Nisab he must pay zakat as 2.5% by the year. Nisab is equal to eighty-five grams of gold.
Zakat of wealth that the person has like:
- Gold & silver.
- Zaka on installment property.
- Zakah on cash or credit.
- Zakatt on vehicles.
- Business and investments.
We should know that zakah, not paid for the wealth we used or consumed as
- Clothes we have.
For Zakah Al-Fitr
Each member of the family must pay minimally about two kilograms of rice, wheat, raisins, and other cereals food staff.
May pay money equivalent to this amount of food.
The money paid is about seven dollars for each member.
How to calculate al zakat?
As we know Muslim zakat is paid after we reach the Nisab and zakat is 2.5% of your total wealth by the year but, how to calculate this? we will discuss below:
1- you pay zakat for your total wealth as zakah on inheritance, zakat on installment property, zakah on gold, and all wealth so you must first calculate your total wealth per year:
Total of your income per year = gold & silver+cash + investment property + debts owed to you + stocks & shares + saving fundus + your business.
2- Calculate your total needs and living-consuming expenses.
Total living-consuming expenses = your debt + expenses of your business + your living expenses.
3- Calculate the total wealth
Total wealth for zakat = all total wealth – living-consuming expenses.
This is wealth that you pay zakat for.
4- Find if your zakah wealth reaches the Nisab and if it reaches Nisab you have to pay the required zakah and search about who is eligible for zaka.
5- Calculate zakat you have to pay
Your zakat you have to pay = your wealth for zakat × 2.5 %.
After you calculate your total al zakat you will pay. you have to search about who is eligible for zaka and pay it for its right eight ways as our holy Quran said.
There are many Islamic books on al zakat that can help you understand and calculate your zakat and tell you who is eligible for zakat.
Zakat on livestock
Livestock that the people have are considered a wealth and must pay zakat for them. Zakatt on livestock is not paid until they reach a special threshold called Nisab. An animal that we used in work like horses & slaves not entered under livestock zakat.
1- Zakat on camel
No paid-for camel until they reach five to nine camels as below
- From 5 to 9 camels, one goat or one cheap goat must be paid as al zakat and this goat must be after its first-year-old.
- From 10 to 25 camels you must pay two goats or cheap for 10 to 14, from 15 to 19 camels you pay three goats or cheap, From 20 to 25 camels you pay four goats or cheap.
- From 25 to 35 camels here, you must pay one female camel that passed its first year, if there is no female you pay instead of a male camel that passed its first two years.
- From 36 to 45 camels you must pay one female camel with age from two to four years old.
- From 46 to 60 camels you pay a female camel called hiqqa that is four years old and can carry loads and children.
- From 61 to 75 camels you pay one female camel that is five years old.
- From 76 to 90 camels you pay two female camels that have passed the first two years old.
- From 91 to 120 camels you pay two camels that passed three years old.
- More than 120 camels pay one female camel four years old for every 50 camels and one female camel between 2 years to five years for every forty camels.
2- zakat on goats
No paid on goats or sheep until they reach a specific threshold called Nisab that equals 40 goats or sheep.
- From 40 to 120 goats or sheep you need to pay one goat or sheep that is four years old or pay one that is four years old.
- From 120 to 200 goats or sheep you pay two goats or sheep.
- From 200 to 300 goats or sheep you pay three goats or sheep.
- After 300 goats or sheep, you pay one goat or sheep for every 100 goats in addition to the three before 300.
3- zakat on buffalo
You don’t pay until buffalo reach 30 battles or buffalo that are called Nisab.
- From 30 to 40 buffalo, you pay one female buffalo that has passed two years old.
- Forty and up to 40 you pay a female cow that is in its fourth year. up to 40 you pay one female passed two years old on each 30 and one female on its fourth year to each 40.
How do I calculate alzakat on gold?
Gold as any wealth you have calculated is al zakat by 2.5 % of your total gold but after you reach the threshold that is called Nisab.
Nisab of gold is equal to 87.48 grams and after this amount of gold, you have to pay al zakat.
If a gram of gold costs 62.28 $ you pay zakat for it as 2.5% × 62.28 $ = 1.557 $ this is zaka for each gram after you reach Nisab. Be careful when you pay your zaka you must find the true way and person who is eligible for zakat.
Benefits of zakat and sadaqah
- Making Muslims obey Allah and complete their Islam as al zakat is one of the obligations of Islam.
- Helping poor and needy people to raise their income to meet their requirements so the person who is eligible for zakat can live well.
- Making Muslims not love money as they spend it on al zakat although they hardly collect them.
- Make Muslims learn social solidarity as rich people help the poor and the person who is eligible for zakat in his hard life.
- Purify the heart of Muslims as they pay their zakah and their money with love to obey Allah.
- Zaka purifies the wealth that the people have as The Quran said :(O Prophet), take sadaqa (al zakat) out of their property-thou wouldst cleanse them and purify them thereby (Qur’an, ix. 103). And away from it (the Hell) shall be kept the most faithful to duty who gives his wealth, purifying himself.
- it is one of the ways to get entered Paradise as our prophet said: “those who use soft speech, spread the greeting of Islam, feed people and spend the night in voluntary prayer while the people are asleep.”
- Giving zakat prevents poor people from being thieves.
Zakat is one of our Islam obligations that help us to purify our money and purify our soul. Make Muslims help each other and learn the sense of operation with us. So all Muslims that have a wealth that exceeds the Nisab must ask who is eligible for zakat to pay it in the right way.
Do you want your kids to learn more about Islamic studies courses? Sign up for Rahman School’s ( online Quran school ) Islamic studies Online program and watch them dive deeper into the Quran science and learn the Holy Book of Allah.
Rahman School’s Arabic classes, Quran classes, Islamic studies class, Quran tajweed class, ijazah Quran and let your children learn the accurate Quran recitation and word pronunciation even if Arabic is not their first language.
Online Quran tuition learning can be challenging if you’re seeking it for your kids. Rahman School offers you a wide variety of topics to teach your children online.
Whether it’s Quran online, Arabic online, Tajweed, Ijazah, tajwid al Quran, and Islamic Studies. Rahman School has your back with professional Quran tutors who are willing to go further with your kids’ education. With an attractive interface and well-structured lessons,
Rahman School gives you and your children the chance to learn with al Rahman school who are going to be your kids’ new friends, accompanying them in their learning process and encouraging them to learn more.
Can a mother give al-zakat to her son?
Mother can pay zakat for her son if he does not have money. But a mother can not give her zakat for her son as he is not the kind of person who is eligible for zakat. In this case, the mother must help her son and give him money to spend but this money is not considered zakat for her.
Can I pay al-zakat to the mosque?
The Quran set the ways of zakah and said who is eligible for zakat at surat Al Tawbah. Zakah is paid to persons, not a building or public buildings that do not belong to a specific person. Zaka has eight categories for the person who is eligible for zakatt. So it does not pay for mosques.
In one case called (fi sabil Allah ) this way of al-zakat is one of the eight ways of zakatt, zakat is given to people who are responsible for mosques and they give it to poor people and to the person who is eligible for zakah in their ways.