In the Islamic religion, wudu (Arabic: الوضوء ) written whudu is one of the major steps when Muslims prepare to pray, it’s not valid to pray without proper wudu steps, if you break your wudu you have to perform it again. so what breaks Muslim wudu?
Scholars agreed on 9 main wudu breakers and they are listed below:
1- what gets out of one or both of the two tracts, such as( wind or feces).
- Abu Huraira reported God’s messenger as saying, “No Islam wudu is necessary except when one makes a sound or breaks wind.
(Ahmad and Tirmidhi transmitted it. Mishkat al-Masabih)
وَعَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «لَا وُضُوءَ إِلَّا مِنْ صَوْتٍ أَوْ رِيحٍ» . رَوَاهُ أَحْمد وَالتِّرْمِذِيّ
2- The emission of pre-seminal fluid and semen, even if they are emitted without sexual lust.
- Imam Al-Shafi’i affirmed the obligation of washing and whudu for men and the obligation of Islam wudu for women in this case, and this is the opinion of most scholars as well.
- It was narrated that ‘Ali said:”The Messenger of Allah was asked about prostatic fluid and he said: ‘For that muslim wudu (is necessary), and for semen, the bath is necessary. Sunan Ibn Majah 504”
حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا هُشَيْمٌ، عَنْ يَزِيدَ بْنِ أَبِي زِيَادٍ، عَنْ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ أَبِي لَيْلَى، عَنْ عَلِيٍّ، قَالَ سُئِلَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ عَنِ الْمَذْىِ فَقَالَ “ فِيهِ الْوُضُوءُ وَفِي الْمَنِيِّ الْغُسْلُ )
3- Loss of mind, through insanity, drugs, epilepsy, or sleep.
- Shafi’is and Hanafis acknowledged its necessity according to the saying of the Holy Prophet: “The eye is the sign of forgetfulness, so whoever sleeps, let him perform wudu steps.
- while the Malikis and Hanbalis view that light sleep is not considered to invalidate Islam wudu, but heavy sleep alone is what invalidates it.
4- A lot of blood, pus, or pus, or a lot of vomiting
- This is what the Hanafis and Hanbalis have agreed upon together. And supported by the hadith below:
- It was Narrated by Aisha: The Messenger said: “Whoever vomits, bleeds through the nose, or is released (urethral discharge) should go, perform whudu and then complete his (prayer) (by continuing from where he had stopped at) on condition that he does not speak in the process”. reported by Ibn Majah
5- Touching the Foreparts or (their) backs with the hand, without a barrier,
- The Hanbalis and Shafi’is agreed that Muslim wudu is obligatory after touching the vagina, also the penis or the buttocks, according to what the prophet, said: “Whoever touches his private part, let him perform wudu steps”
- while the Malikis said that the revocation is by touching the penis, not by touching the buttocks.
6- A man touches a woman’s skin, or her skin touches his skin with lust
- The Shafi’is rejected the justification of a man’s touching of a foreign woman, even if it was not with lust.
- While the Hanafi school went to invalidate Muslim wudu by touching a woman in the event of obscene sexual intercourse;
- It is the meeting of the two circumcisions, and as for the Malikis and the Hanbalis, they said that it is invalidated if they meet in the case of sexual lust.
- and those who said that it is not invalidated were inferred by the action of the Prophet – may God’s prayers and peace be upon him,
- Urwah bin Az-Subair narrated from ‘Aishah, that: The Messenger of Allah kissed one of his women (i.e., wives), then he went to perform the prayer, and he did not perform whudu. I (‘Urwah bin Zubair) said: “That was not anyone but you,’ and she smiled.
(Darussalam) Sunan Ibn Majah 502
حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، وَعَلِيُّ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ، قَالاَ حَدَّثَنَا وَكِيعٌ، حَدَّثَنَا الأَعْمَشُ، عَنْ حَبِيبِ بْنِ أَبِي ثَابِتٍ، عَنْ عُرْوَةَ بْنِ الزُّبَيْرِ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ قَبَّلَ بَعْضَ نِسَائِهِ ثُمَّ خَرَجَ إِلَى الصَّلاَةِ وَلَمْ يَتَوَضَّأْ . قُلْتُ مَا هِيَ إِلاَّ أَنْتِ . فَضَحِكَتْ .
7- Apostasy from Islam
- According to the Malikis, affirmed apostasy breaks Muslim wudu, because of the 6 verses in (surah al Zuma):
- And it was already revealed to you and those before you that if you should associate [anything] with Allah, your work would surely become worthless, and you would surely be among the losers.”
8- To eat camel meat
The Hanafis, Malikis, and Shafi’is believe that it does not invalidate wudu; based on the nullification is from what comes out and not from what enters the intestines.
- and they cited the hadith of Jabir bin Samra: “The Messenger of God, was asked about Islam wudu from camel meat, and he said: Perform wudu steps from it.
It was narrated that Bara’bin ‘Azib said:
“The Messenger of Allah was asked about performing ablution after eating camel meat. He said: ‘Perform ablution after eating it.
Sahih (Darussalam)Sunan Ibn Majah
حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ إِدْرِيسَ، وَأَبُو مُعَاوِيَةَ قَالاَ حَدَّثَنَا الأَعْمَشُ، عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، عَنْ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ أَبِي لَيْلَى، عَنِ الْبَرَاءِ بْنِ عَازِبٍ، قَالَ سُئِلَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ عَنِ الْوُضُوءِ مِنْ لُحُومِ الإِبِلِ فَقَالَ “ تَوَضَّئُوا مِنْهَا ”.
- As for the Hanbalis, the basic principle for them is that it invalidates Islam wudu, whether it is raw or cooked, and whether the one who eats it is knowledgeable in the hadith or is ignorant.
9- Washing the dead
- The Hanafi school considered it desirable to perform Islam wudu for one who washed the dead, but the majority of scholars did not mention that in the nullifiers.
- Narrated Abu Hurayrah:
The Messenger of Allah said: He who washes the dead should take a bath, and he who carries him should perform whudu.
Sahih (Al-Albani) Sunan Abi Dawud
حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ صَالِحٍ، حَدَّثَنَا ابْنُ أَبِي فُدَيْكٍ، حَدَّثَنِي ابْنُ أَبِي ذِئْبٍ، عَنِ الْقَاسِمِ بْنِ عَبَّاسٍ، عَنْ عَمْرِو بْنِ عُمَيْرٍ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ “ مَنْ غَسَّلَ الْمَيِّتَ فَلْيَغْتَسِلْ وَمَنْ حَمَلَهُ فَلْيَتَوَضَّأْ ” .
10- Backbiting and calumny
- Imam Ahmad went to invalidate whudu by backbiting and considers the Hanafis and Shafi’is to recommend it from backbiting and ugly speech.
- Narrated Ibn `Abbas:
Once the Prophet, while passing through one of the graveyards of Medina or Mecca heard the voices of two persons who were being tortured in their graves.
The Prophet said, “These two persons are being tortured not for a major sin (to avoid).”
The Prophet then added, “Yes! (they are being tortured for a major sin). Indeed, one of them never saved himself from being soiled with his urine while the other used to go about with calumnies (to make enmity between friends).
The Prophet then asked for a green leaf of a date-palm tree, broke it into two pieces, and put one on each grave. On being asked why he had done so, he replied, “I hope that their torture might be lessened, till these get dried.”
حَدَّثَنَا عُثْمَانُ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا جَرِيرٌ، عَنْ مَنْصُورٍ، عَنْ مُجَاهِدٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ، قَالَ مَرَّ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم بِحَائِطٍ مِنْ حِيطَانِ الْمَدِينَةِ أَوْ مَكَّةَ، فَسَمِعَ صَوْتَ إِنْسَانَيْنِ يُعَذَّبَانِ فِي قُبُورِهِمَا، فَقَالَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم ” يُعَذَّبَانِ، وَمَا يُعَذَّبَانِ فِي كَبِيرٍ ”، ثُمَّ قَالَ ” بَلَى، كَانَ أَحَدُهُمَا لاَ يَسْتَتِرُ مِنْ بَوْلِهِ، وَكَانَ الآخَرُ يَمْشِي بِالنَّمِيمَةِ ”. ثُمَّ دَعَا بِجَرِيدَةٍ فَكَسَرَهَا كِسْرَتَيْنِ، فَوَضَعَ عَلَى كُلِّ قَبْرٍ مِنْهُمَا كِسْرَةً. فَقِيلَ لَهُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ لِمَ فَعَلْتَ هَذَا قَالَ ” لَعَلَّهُ أَنْ يُخَفَّفَ عَنْهُمَا مَا لَمْ تَيْبَسَا أَوْ إِلَى أَنْ يَيْبَسَا ”.
- Definition of Islam wudu in language: whudu is linguistically derived from “wada’ah” which is one of shining, which is beauty, joy, and cleanliness.
- wudu with plunging: the act of Muslim wudu, by using clean and clear water prepared for it to clean certain body organs.
- Definition of wudu idiomatically: Worshipping God, the Exalted, the Majestic, by washing specific parts of the body to be purified both physically and spiritually.
- Muslim wudu “is the Legitimate use of water in certain organs distinctly.
- it is mentioned in the Holy Quran is the saying of God Almighty:
O you who believe! When you intend to offer (the prayer), wash your face and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to your ankles.
If you are in a state of Janâba (i.e. after a sexual discharge), purify yourselves (bathe your whole body).
But if you are ill or on a journey, or any of you comes after answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (i.e. sexual intercourse), and you find no water, then perform Tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands.
Allah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you and to complete His Favour to you that you may be thankful ( Al-Ma’idah verse 6)
يَـٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوٓا۟ إِذَا قُمْتُمْ إِلَى ٱلصَّلَوٰةِ فَٱغْسِلُوا۟ وُجُوهَكُمْ وَأَيْدِيَكُمْ إِلَى ٱلْمَرَافِقِ وَٱمْسَحُوا۟ بِرُءُوسِكُمْ وَأَرْجُلَكُمْ إِلَى ٱلْكَعْبَيْنِ ۚ وَإِن كُنتُمْ جُنُبًۭا فَٱطَّهَّرُوا۟ ۚ وَإِن كُنتُم مَّرْضَىٰٓ أَوْ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ أَوْ جَآءَ أَحَدٌۭ مِّنكُم مِّنَ ٱلْغَآئِطِ أَوْ لَـٰمَسْتُمُ ٱلنِّسَآءَ فَلَمْ تَجِدُوا۟ مَآءًۭ فَتَيَمَّمُوا۟ صَعِيدًۭا طَيِّبًۭا فَٱمْسَحُوا۟ بِوُجُوهِكُمْ وَأَيْدِيكُم مِّنْهُ ۚ مَا يُرِيدُ ٱللَّهُ لِيَجْعَلَ عَلَيْكُم مِّنْ حَرَجٍۢ وَلَـٰكِن يُرِيدُ لِيُطَهِّرَكُمْ وَلِيُتِمَّ نِعْمَتَهُۥ عَلَيْكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ
How to make wudu?
Wudu chart, intend your pure niyyah (intention) to operate wudu steps,
- First, intend your pure niyyah (intention) to operate wudu steps, and start with(in the name of Allah).
It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed bin Zaid said: “The Messenger of Allah said: ‘There is no prayer for one who does not have wudu, and there is no Muslim wudu for one who does not mention the Name of Allah (before it).’Sunan Ibn Majah 398
“حَدَّثَنَا الْحَسَنُ بْنُ عَلِيٍّ الْخَلاَّلُ، حَدَّثَنَا يَزِيدُ بْنُ هَارُونَ، أَنْبَأَنَا يَزِيدُ بْنُ عِيَاضٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو ثِفَالٍ، عَنْ رَبَاحِ بْنِ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ أَبِي سُفْيَانَ، أَنَّهُ سَمِعَ جَدَّتَهُ بِنْتَ سَعِيدِ بْنِ زَيْدٍ، تَذْكُرُ أَنَّهَا سَمِعَتْ أَبَاهَا، سَعِيدَ بْنَ زَيْدٍ يَقُولُ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ “ لاَ صَلاَةَ لِمَنْ لاَ وُضُوءَ لَهُ وَلاَ وُضُوءَ لِمَنْ لَمْ يَذْكُرِ اسْمَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهِ ” .
- Niyyah is the Islamic idea of performing an act for the sake of Allah. To truly perform wudu steps, you should clear your intention and clear your thoughts, concentrating seriously on what you are doing.
Niyyah is not said out loud and should be brought to the heart.
- Then start by washing your hands with clean water
- Use your left hand to wash your right hand.
- Do this three times.
- After that, use your right hand to wash your left hand three times. Make sure to wash in between your fingers and up to your wrists.
- Put some water into your mouth
- Use your right hand as a water cup and wash in your mouth three times.
- Turn it around in your cheeks.
- inhale water into your nose.
- Use your right hand to take water and inhale it into your nose and puff it out three times.
- Snort sharply and shortly without taking too much water into your nose and choking yourself.
- If you cannot inhale water into your nose, you can use your fingers and put water on the lower part of your nostrils.
- Wash your face three times by rubbing your hands from your right ear to the left, and from the hairline to the chin.
- Wash your lower arms from wrists to elbows, leaving no part dry.
- From your wrist to your elbow, wash your right arm with your left hand three times,
- and then wash your left arm with your right hand three times.
- clean your head by Using your wet hands, gently wipe the entire head once, from the forehead to the back of the head, and wipe it again forward from the back of the head to the forehead.
- Wipe your ears inside and out, Use your thumb to clean behind your ears from the bottom upward. This is also done one time.
- Wash both of your feet
- Clean up to the ankles and be sure water goes between the toes.
- Use your pinky finger and go through each toe to rub anything between.
- Start with your right foot and scrub each foot three times
- Remember the right order of each whudu steps should be performed one after another, so you must know the order of the steps so that you can follow them accurately.
- If you forget a step of Islam wudu in the order, you must begin it from the beginning again.
Start with the right niyyah (intention), say Bismillah, Washing hands three times, begin with the right hand, Wash mouth three times, Rinse nose three-time, Wash face three times, Wash arms three times, and begin with the right arm from fingertips to just above the elbow, Wipe head once and clean ears once, Wash feet three times, begin with right foot from the tip of the toenail to just above the ankle.
Does Accidentally swearing to break your wudu?
cursing or swearing by accident does not break one’s Muslim wudu as there is no evidence about this. Also listening to music or lying and false testimony.
Although, these are not the manners of a good Muslim.
the Prophet said: “A Muslim is neither a slanderer nor a curser, nor is he obscene or vulgar.” [Ahmed and Ibn Hibbaan].
Does drawing blood break your wudu?
Islam Wudu is considered unbreakable until something happens to break it, the most common answer between scholars’ publications is that bleeding does not break one’s wudu.
although it is desirable to make wudu after bleeding.
It was narrated that Husain Al-Muzani said:
‘Ali bin Abi Talib said on the minbar: to people, I heard the Messenger of Allah say: “Nothing interrupts prayer except breaking whudu’. I will not be embarrassed about that which the Messenger of Allah was not embarrassed about. He said: (Breaking Muslim wudu ) means breaking wind silently or loudly.
(Musnad Ahmad, Book 5, Hadith 576)
حَدَّثَنَا عَبْد اللَّهِ، حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ بَكَّارٍ، حَدَّثَنَا حِبَّانُ بْنُ عَلِيٍّ، عَنْ ضِرَارِ بْنِ مُرَّةَ، عَنْ حُصَيْنٍ الْمُزَنِيِّ، قَالَ قَالَ عَلِيُّ بْنُ أَبِي طَالِبٍ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ عَلَى الْمِنْبَرِ أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنِّي سَمِعْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَقُولُ لَا يَقْطَعُ الصَّلَاةَ إِلَّا الْحَدَثُ لَا أَسْتَحْيِيكُمْ مِمَّا لَا يَسْتَحْيِي مِنْهُ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ.
It’s also related to the case of blood drawing:
- The whudu of a person is validated if he is injured and blood from his nose or tooth gum or even blood donating!
- except in one case, which is “blood exiting from other the two paths: the front and back”,
- as the exit of blood from any place below them in the human body does not invalidate Muslim wudu,
- and this is the opinion of Imam Malik, Al-Shafi’i, and the scholars of the seven jurists of Medina and others.
- According to the hadith of Jaber bin Abdullah,
- Two men from among the companions of the Prophet has guarded the Muslims in the Battle of Dhat al-Raqqa’, so one of them stood up and prayed, and a man from the infidels threw an arrow at him, and he took it off, prayed and his blood ran, and the Prophet knew of it. he did not deny it.
- So the person affected by this must perform wudu and bandage his wound, and there is no objection to him.
How to perform wudu for females?
In the Islamic rituals, women must pray when they are ultimately pure;
which means they have to be clean from whatever breaks wudu steps, as we know it is prohibited for women and adult girls to pray during their menstruation.
in the normal status, the woman could follow the usual wudu steps, in case after menstruation end she should follow these steps:
- after the end of menstruation. ghusl has to be done first before Islam wudu.
- If a woman observes the sign of achieving purity from menses following her regular monthly cycle, either by witnessing a white discharge or a cessation of bleeding.
- She must do ghusl (ritual bath) first, then she can perform Muslim wudu according to the steps we previously mentioned and pray.
- So, after reciting Allah’s name, the first main thing would be to remove the filth by washing both private parts, performing complete whudu, and rinsing each part of the body with water.
It was narrated from ‘Aishah that the Prophet said: “When the time of menstruation comes, stop praying, and when it goes, perform Ghusl.”Sunan an-Nasa’i 202
أَخْبَرَنَا هِشَامُ بْنُ عَمَّارٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا سَهْلُ بْنُ هَاشِمٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا الأَوْزَاعِيُّ، عَنِ الزُّهْرِيِّ، عَنْ عُرْوَةَ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ “ إِذَا أَقْبَلَتِ الْحَيْضَةُ فَاتْرُكِي الصَّلاَةَ وَإِذَا أَدْبَرَتْ فَاغْتَسِلِي ” .
Can I make wudu by wearing shorts?
A man can perform wudu wearing shorts and it will be valid after putting these conditions into his consideration. Many things need to be considered here;
- whether one is making wudu in public or a private place.
- The rule is that a man’s loins in front of other men are what is between the navel and knee, not including the knees.
- if one was making his wudu in public, was wearing these shorts, and exposed what is over and above his knee to other men; then he would be sinning.
- If one was making wudu in private and was wearing these shorts that exposed what is over and above the knee;
- it would be permitted if he were a man.
- according to scholarly consensus. According to al-Zarkashi, when alone, a man must cover his front and rear private parts.
Does cursing break wudu?
Cursing is not one of the things that break whudu. The things that invalidate Muslim are clearly defined and they are:
- Any discharge getting out from the front or back passage (urine, stools, fart, blood, semen) except for wind emitted from a woman’s front passage – that does not wudu break. There is also a strong hadith relatable to wudu steps breaks.
Anas said that God’s messenger used to perform ablution for every prayer, but that they made the ablution serve as long as they did nothing which broke the state of ceremonial purity.
(Mishkat al-Masabih 425)
Darimi transmitted it.
Does eating break wudu?
- Eating uncooked food will not break your wudu, although some scholars argue about it.
- based on an authentic hadith narrated by Abu Huraira that he heard the Holy Prophet saying; make Wudu (after eating) whatever is touched by fire.
- the majority of scholars don’t take the solid meaning of this hadith. As it was talking about cooked food and it was rare in their days, the main thing is to wash your hands and rinse your mouth to get rid of food remnants.
What to say after wudu?
It’s a lovable sunnah to say wudu dua after finishing Muslim wudu, Once you are done:
- recite the wudu dua, I testify that there is no one worthy of worship besides Allah. He is all by Himself and has no partner
- and I testify that Muhammad is Allah’s servant and the (Messenger) Allah, count me among those who seek your forgiveness and amongst those who stay clean. Allah, You are pure, I praise You and testify that only You are worthy of worship and I seek forgiveness from You I turn to You for repentance”
أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له، وأشهد أن محمداً عبده ورسوله ، اللهم اجعلني من التوابين واجعلني من المتطهرين ، سبحانك اللهم وبحمدك ، أشهد أن لا إله إلا أنت ، أستغفرك وأتوب إليك
Do you want your kids to learn more about Online Islamic studies Classes? Sign up for Rahman School’s ( online Quran school ) Online Islamic studies Classes program and watch them dive deeper into Islam science and learn Islam.
Rahman School’s Arabic classes, Quran classes, Islamic studies class, Quran tajweed class, ijazah Quran and let your children learn the accurate Quran recitation and word pronunciation even if Arabic is not their first language.
Online Quran tuition learning can be challenging if you’re seeking it for your kids. Rahman School offers you a wide variety of topics to teach your children online.
Whether it’s Quran online, Arabic online, Tajweed, Ijazah, tajwid al Quran, and Islamic Studies. Rahman School has your back with professional Quran tutors who are willing to go further with your kids’ education. With an attractive interface and well-structured lessons,
Rahman School gives you and your children the chance to learn with al Rahman school who are going to be your kids’ new friends, accompanying them in their learning process and encouraging them to learn more.
How to make wudu without water?
Muslim whudu without water is called tayammum the main rule of it is, in the absence of water, the inability to use water, or when risk is attached to using water to purify oneself for worship. tayammum is only recommended for acts for which purification is obligatory, like reading the Qur’an.
Before stating tayammum Muslims should make the intention and start with bismillah then follow these steps:
- Immerse your hands in the soil, once.
- Then blow into the palms of the hands to decrease the stacking of the particles.
- Next, wipe your face with your palms, once.
- Then wipe the back of both hands, by wiping the back of the right hand with
- the palm of the left and vice versa.
The evidence for tayammum validity is on the hadith of ‘Ammar b. Yasir said:
I asked the Prophet about tayammum. He commanded me to strike only one stroke (i.e. strike the ground) for (wiping) the face and the hands.
Sahih (Al-Albani),Sunan Abi Dawud
حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الْمِنْهَالِ، حَدَّثَنَا يَزِيدُ بْنُ زُرَيْعٍ، عَنْ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ قَتَادَةَ، عَنْ عَزْرَةَ، عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ أَبْزَى، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ عَمَّارِ بْنِ يَاسِرٍ، قَالَ سَأَلْتُ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم عَنِ التَّيَمُّمِ فَأَمَرَنِي ضَرْبَةً وَاحِدَةً لِلْوَجْهِ وَالْكَفَّيْنِ .
Can you make wudu with socks?
Yes, It is validated to wipe over your socks under certain conditions to make Muslim wudu while wearing your socks, we called it “Masah”, there are four statuses where you can apply wipe over the socks:
- You should have been put on when one was in a state of (purity, like when one has wudu).
- The evidence for that is what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to al-Mugheerah ibn Shu’bah: “Don’t worry, because I put them on when I was clean.”
- the leather slippers which cover the ankle) or socks should be pure.
- in case they were (impure) then it is not acceptable to wipe over them.
- The evidence of that is that the Messenger of Allah led his companions in prayer one-day wearing shoes, which he took off whilst he was praying.
- He said that Jibril had told him that there was something dirty on them.
- This was narrated by Ahmad from the hadith of Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri.
- This reveals that it is not allowable to pray wearing anything impure or dirty, because if the impurity thing is wiped over, the person will be polluted by that impurity, so he cannot be considered to be pure.
- They may be wiped over when one is purifying oneself from minor impurity (doing wudu after passing wind, urine, or stools)
- not when one is in a state of major impurity following sexual activity or when ghusl is required.
- The evidence for that is the hadith of Safwaan ibn ‘Assaal Said: “The Messenger of Allah demanded us, when we were traveling, not to remove our socks for three days and three nights, except in the case of sexual impure.
- But we could keep them on and wipe over them in the case of stools, urine, and sleeping.
- This was narrated by Ahmad from the hadith of Safwaan ibn Assal in his Musnad. So the condition is that wiping the socks may be done when purifying oneself (doing wudu from minor impurity, and it is not allowable in the case of major impurity, because of the hadith which we have mentioned here.
- That the wiping may be done within the time specified by the shari’ah, which is one day and one night in the case of one who is not traveling, and three days and three nights in the case of one who is traveling.
- This is because of the hadith of ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib who said: The Prophet declared one day and one night for the one who is not traveling, and three days and three nights for the one who is traveling, This was narrated by Muslims.
- This period starts from the first time one wipes over the socks when doing Muslim wudu after some slight impurity, and it ends twenty-four later for the one who is not traveling, and seventy-two hours later for the one who is traveling.
Muslim wudu is not just for preparing yourself to do prayer with clean body parts, it’s a way to get rid of your sins, every time you perform Islam wudu you lost a lot of your sins as a reward for performing your wudu steps right, in this article, we try to help you to understand more about Islam wudu manners and how to do right wudu steps, by answering all the crucial questions you might have on your mind.